Learning How to Sell Items on Amazon
So, you heard about this whole Amazon FBA thing and now you are wondering how to get started and just exactly how to sell items on Amazon. At first it can seem so overwhelming!
Are there ways to learn how to sell items on Amazon for free or very cheap? Of course! I am going to provide you with a list of ways to learn Amazon FBA for free. Many people do exactly that. There are drawbacks of course, and I want to make sure you know what they are and what to watch out for.
I will also talk about the ways you can build your Amazon FBA business much faster by using books, other paid resources and even some Amazon FBA coaching.
Learn How to Sell Items on Amazon for Free
Amazon FBA Blogs
There are many Amazon FBA blogs out there (like this one you are reading now!). My biggest issue with trying to keep a blog going is that you get so busy selling and doing the actual work that writing articles is hard to keep up. But bloggers are a special kind of person who are natural teachers and helpers and so they try to find time to get it done! You can bookmark these Amazon FBA blogs and follow them and get lots of great free information from them. These people are FBA sellers themselves and know the ropes. Some of them have areas of specialty which can be invaluable to your business. These are my favorite Amazon FBA blogs that I follow and recommend:
Marketing Words blog (Karon Thackston’s specialty is optimizing listings)
Full Time FBA This blog by seller Stephen Smotherman is chock full of tips and great information
onlinesalesstepbystep.com. Cynthia Stine know books and even more important she knows everything about preventing account suspension and helping you out of a mess if you do get suspended. I have two of her books and they are well worth having in your Amazon FBA library.
How I Turned $200 into $40,000 Gross Sales My First Year in Part-Time Online Sales!Suspension Prevention: Get Reinstated and Protect Your Amazon Seller Account
Amazon FBA Facebook Groups
When I first starting selling there were just a couple really large Facebook groups. Now there are so many it’s hard to keep track of and it’s hard to recommend any particular one. I am listing a few here for your own perusal.
While these groups are a great way to glean a lot of useful information, here are a few things that I have noticed and you should be aware of:
- It’s easy to spend all your time on Facebook groups ‘in the research phase’ and never actually start your business
- Facebook seems to attract a lot of drama seekers and trolls. These groups have their share of both.
- Negativity can derail you before you even get started. I have seen people in groups talk themselves and everyone else out of doing this business.
- Beware of the blind leading the blind. People sometimes share stuff that is downright wrong! And some do it with seeming authority! Do not believe everything you read on the internet (and that includes my stuff, see my next point below) without doing your own research. Check your facts always. Ask Amazon!
- Rules and policy are constantly changing. Even trusted people sometimes post things that might have been true a short time ago but are not anymore. Again, do your due diligence, ultimately YOU are the one responsible to know Amazon policies and follow them. They don’t take ‘I didn’t know’ as a valid reason to let you keep your account if you unknowingly break the rules.
Is there anything good about Amazon FBA facebook groups? Why yes! Keeping all the cautions in mind, there are good honest people who hang out in the groups. They are generally less vocal than some because, well they are busy doing this business! You will eventually learn who are the genuine helpful people and who are the posers.
Amazon FBA groups
Scanpower – This group is run by Chris Green. Many people consider him to be the Father of FBA and while he didn’t invent it, he has been teaching and writing about it for several years. I have read his books and I suggest that you do the same! His group is very large and as such requires some effort to weed through the crap and learn the good stuff, and his books will help do that for you. I consider Chris Green and his books to be at the cornerstone of my own continuing education in Amazon FBA.
If funds are tight, get Arbitrage and Retail Arbitrage, they are around $10 each and worth ten times that. Online Arbitrage is pricey at around $100 but also well worth having and will pay for itself over and over. Budget it in as a business expense when you get your next Amazon payout.
Arbitrage: The authoritative guide on how it works, why it works, and how it can work for youRetail Arbitrage: The Blueprint for Buying Retail Products to Resell OnlineOnline Arbitrage: Sourcing Secrets for Buying Products Online to Resell for BIG PROFITS
Fast Turn Radio – Run by Duane Malek who specializes in the ‘Fast Turn’. If you don’t know what that is then you need to join the group and pay attention to anything he posts. He also does regular ‘shows’ that you can watch and learn as well.
My Silent Team – Run by Jim Cockrum of the famous Proven Amazon Course. There are over 25,000 members in this group.
eCommerce with Duncan Macpherson – This is a growing group with great information for Canadians who are selling on Amazon.com. I am an admin in this group as well as a coach (see coaching page)
Those groups are free to join as well as many, many others. You will hear about paid FBA Facebook groups. There are some good ones out there, as well as the bad. Be sure to get recommendations from people already in. Paid groups can be good because they expand your horizons of places to source, things to source and the many possibilities of this business.
Amazon FBA Coaching
There comes a time in any serious Amazon FBA seller’s journey where they realize that in order to take their business to the next level they need to get a mentor or a coach. Many of the big sellers and book authors do offer coaching, either one on one or group coaching. I have done both myself and would pay for it all over again.
I am now a coach myself and love working with people. I don’t have my own coaching service, I work with Duncan MacPherson’s team. He screens coaching applicants to pair the right student with the right coach. You can check out his Amazon FBA Coaching page here.
Who is a good candidate for Amazon FBA coaching?
From my own personal experience both as a coach and as a person who has been coached, here are a few things that I think are important:
- You should already have sent in some shipments and made some sales.
- You should have some specific goals, for example “I want to reach X$ in monthly sales” or “I want to get wholesale accounts”.
- You should have some money to buy inventory (unless your goal is to figure out how to start with no money!). That is something I have done myself and can coach on.
- You should already understand that this is a business and not a GRQS (Get Rich Quick Scheme).
- You need to be teachable and willing to follow direction and take action.
I think the ideal person for coaching is someone who has been doing the business for at least a couple months, has had some payouts and sees the potential in this business. Maybe they are unsure how to scale it up, or need to know things like how to get that first wholesale account or how to prepare your business for Q4. There are a lot of things to know and figure out and yes you can probably figure it all out yourself given enough time. But coaching can help you get there faster with less mistakes. That teaching can be priceless!
What Amazon FBA Coaching is NOT
- A coach won’t (and shouldn’t) tell you what products to buy.
- A coach won’t be able to give you tax advice (unless they happen to be an accountant and that is what you are paying for)
- A coach is not for BOLOs and sources, you can join Facebook groups for that.
- They are not there to set up the business for you
If they just hand you a plate of fish and don’t teach you about the rod and reel, how will you learn to fish yourself? Consider hiring a coach to take your business to the next level, whatever that might be for you. The money you pay will be earned back over and over again as you build this amazing business opportunity that is Amazon.
Once again, here is the link to find out more about Coaching services.
Now that you know where to look for the best resources on how to sell items on Amazon, there’s only one thing left to do. Get out there and take action!