Make Money With Merch by Amazon
If you are currently doing POD on Zazzle, Café Press, Society 6 you will want to take a look because Amazon has the market share to pull this off and you can make money with merch by Amazon too.
I am pretty excited about this because Zazzle has become a nice little steady income stream but so many people don’t even know what it is!
Three days ago I uploaded this image to Merch by Amazon that my son designed a few years ago. This has been sitting on Zazzle for 3 years without a single sale.
Today on Amazon it sold. Three days.
You can bet that I am going to be busy over the next few days! Not only that, the royalty is about 40% and up. To get this much royalty on Zazzle you would need to sell the shirt for way too high a price to ever get sales.
You won’t be abandoning Zazzle because right now Merch by Amazon is still in it’s infancy and the program is only a few months old at the time of writing this article. While Zazzle has POD products that you have not even thought of yet, Amazon has only tshirts and nothing else. Not even a mug! But I’m sure that will change over time.
How Do You Make Money with Amazon Merch?
- First you need an invitation and you need to let them know you want to be invited! So do that right away at merch.amazon.com because it took 3 months for me to finally get my approval.
- While you are waiting to be approved, start getting some designs ready to upload.
- Basically, you will upload your images onto the Merch by Amazon board and place it on a tshirt, choosing up to 5 colors (at this time) per shirt design. Submit your design to the marketing machine that is Amazon and watch the dashboard for your royalties!
How is Merch by Amazon different from Zazzle?
This section is for those of you currently using Zazzle. There are a few differences both good and bad.
- The royalties are higher, much higher. My son made $8 on a $19.99 shirt. You can price the shirts higher than that and Amazon’s portion doesn’t change, so you can make more than 40%.
- You can have private listings so if you design a special shirt for a private function or group, you can sell those shirts at cost if you want and they are also not in the marketplace. Just give your group the URL for ordering.
- You don’t have an actual store front like you do on Zazzle or on Amazon as a normal Amazon third party seller. Amazon is the store front and is selling your shirt.
- There isn’t as yet a place to put behind the scenes keyword phrases as there is with product listings.
- There are only 2 items, a relaxed fit shirt or a closer fitting shirt. No long sleeve shirts or tanks or hoodies. I think this will come in time.
What Do I Need to Make Money With Merch By Amazon ?
Not a whole heck of a lot!
That is the beauty of it! You can finally sell on Amazon without buying any Inventory! All you need is images just like on Zazzle. You can use your own photos, artwork and made up images and slogans. I use Photoshop Elements as it gives you the power of Photoshop but it’s not overkill. You get exactly what you need. You can also use Gimp which is free.
Amazon provides templates that you can download into photoshop, adobe and gimp. All you need after that is your imagination!
I did buy this Merch Life book to get me started. Each page in the book has a link to a short video to walk you through the steps. I also highly, highly recommend Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative. And no, it’s not about stealing, it’s about finding your own creativity and is very inspiring!
Well, I hope to be writing more about how to make money with Amazon merch as I get more into it and figure out what sells and what doesn’t! I just wanted to tell you right away so that you can get your invitation in there!
Happy Merch Life!